zondag 11 november 2007

Caramel macadamia nut chocolate tart


As I said before, a caramel macadamia nut tart also was part of the weekend cooking and baking fest. I made this for dessert, for a lasagna, salad and tomato bread diner party. Somehow we ended up with other guests than planned, but it turned out to be a very nice evening anyway :o). This tart comes from Fine Cooking magazine, issue 82, which I think is one of my favorite issues ever. The lasagna took a long time to prepare, but was worth every minute. And I knew this tart couldn't be anything else than a winner when I saw the recipe. You make the crust, completely bake it, then prepare the caramel, sprinkle toasted nuts on, let cool, and prepare the chocolate layer. Before serving, you whip up some heavy cream and creme fraiche and sprinkle with additional nuts. I really liked the tart, but thought the chocolate was a little overpowering to the caramel, which could have shined more (it was delicious on its own, with the pronounced vanilla flavor and the nuts). But, when I added the dollop of cream (which I usually avoid as much as I can), it surprisingly came together perfectly. It mellowed the chocolate out a little bit, making it more balanced. Still, the caramel was a little washed out by the rest. I think the 70% chocolate was a bit much, and 50-60% would have been better, but all in all, it was a lovely dessert. I didn't hear any complaints for that matter.
Next week I'm definately trying other desserts from the same issues, because one is more tempting looking than the next! Stay tuned :o).

3 opmerkingen:

Regality zei

Wow, that tart has me salivating and it's not even breakfast time yet! *L* I've learned always to "sub down" when a recipe calls for 70%. It's just too forceful for my palate.

Heleen zei

The strange things is, I've come from only liking milk chocolate to almost exclusively eating 70% chocolate. But I guess that with caramel, it's just a little too much. It needs a sweeter counterpart than the 70%, and I'll definately sub down next time as well :o). So do you just use bittersweet instead?

Regality zei

Yup, that's exactly what I do.