zondag 27 mei 2007

Mother Bauer's buttered rum cookies



Next recipe in the cookie journey, picked beacuse I want to keep varying the types of cookies I make. These are rolled out cookies, filled with a rum flavored buttercream.

I have to confess I didn't follow the recipe exactly as written. The cookie dough calls for a small quantity of grated almonds (I used store bought ground almonds as they are a finer grind which I prefer texture-wise) and, to enhance the almond flavor: -gasp- almond extract. Well, almond extract will never make it over the footstep of my house, let alone the kitchen. I hate it with a passion. I have tried it on two occasions, and threw both batches of cookies I used them in, in the trash because I detested that horrible extract. I can smell it from a mile away. So I just left it out. You have to stick to your principles sometimes ;o). Be glad I'm not getting into my true feelings for nutmeg at this point, ha!

Back to the cookies. I loved making these. But then, I love the whole rolling and cutting proces. The fun starts when you begin to decide on the perfect cookie cutter for the task. My husband doesn't believe me, but I actually didn't have the cookie cutter that was used in the book, so I used a butterfly cutter, a VW beetle cutter and some undefined shape that I wasn't thrilled with when they were done.
The cookies look beautiful, are again very delicate and flavorful. I thought the filling wasn't a lot, so I skimped and then had leftovers. My rating of the cookie was 7 (out of 10), because I did find them a little too sweet. My husband rated them 8 out of 10.
We both decided that the next recipe will be one that has chocolate!

Geen opmerkingen: